Dear Electoral Member,
PREPARATION OF A NEW ELECTORAL ROLL 2019
You may be aware that the Electoral Roll of the church has to be reviewed every year, prior to the Annual Parochial Church Meeting (‘APCM’). In addition, in every 6th year after 2007, a completely new Roll must be prepared. 2019 is such a year. The effect of this is that the old Roll becomes obsolete and everyone will need to re-apply to have their name entered on the new Roll – names are not automatically transferred. (The provisions for this are contained in the Church Representation Rules 2017.)
We are writing to you because your name is currently on the Electoral Roll of St Peter’s, Westhampnett. We would like to encourage you to re-apply to have your name on the new Roll. Being on the Electoral Roll is important because it is, in effect, a parish's register of electors; it is the list of those eligible:
• to attend and vote at the APCM;
• for election to the Parochial Church Council (‘PCC’); and
• for election to the Deanery, Diocesan and General Synods (and it is used for the calculation of the number of representatives who may be elected to each of these synods in the following year).
Being a member of the Electoral Roll is your statement of commitment to the Parish and entitles you to have your say in the important business of running the Parish. Please do not miss this opportunity to re-apply.
We are including with this letter:
1. An Electoral Roll application form. (Please complete it and either place it in the box in church or post it to us c/o the address below.)
2. A Privacy Notice provided by the Church of England explaining the data protection position of the Electoral Roll under the GDPR.
With kind regards,
Tracey Flitcroft The Revd Rachel Hawes
Electoral Roll Officer Associate Rector